Mealy bugs are sap sucking pests are mostly found in outdoor and indoor plants. They are even called vampires because it sucks the sap of the plant.
How to identify Mealy Bugs
- There have white cottony body on leave, stems, buds, flowers and fruits.
- Mealy bugs are soft, distinctly segmented cottony cushion scale whose body is covered with wax.
- They are found in colonies.
- Mealy bugs secretes a sticky residue called “honeydew”, black sooty mould develops on the leaves.
- Due to this honeydew secretion, ants are attracted to the plants.
- Mealy bugs are a commonly infest ornamentals, indoor plants and fruit plants.
How to prevent and control Mealy bugs infestation in garden
When the temperature is around 20 - 35°C, it is a favorable condition for the Mealy Bugs to habitat and in the presences of excess watering.
We can prevent our garden from infesting the plants by avoiding excess watering during cool conditions, having pest repellent plants like mint, coriander, peppermint etc. Make sure that healthy saplings are transplanted.
- Observation and regular monitoring of the plants for the pest infestation
- Initial stage of infestation give a jet spray of water with high pressure.
- Excess watering and over fertilized plants attracts mealy bugs due to high nitrogen levels and soft growth.
- Pinch of the infected leaves or use natural predators likes ladybugs or lacewings.